Select Page

The Bushfire Financial Counselling Helpline is a free phone service providing Financial Counselling support and information to Victorians affected by the bushfires.

Emergency Support

If you are in need of urgent support or medical assistance, please contact the following services for immediate assistance.

Emergency 000
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Mensline: 1300789978
beyondblue Info Line:1300 224 635
Suicide Line: 1300651251
National sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling and information referral service: 1800 RESPECT

What can Financial Counselling help me with?

It can be overwhelming to begin to pick up the pieces and work to rebuild your life after a catastrophic event. Financial difficulties can play out over many months or years, building up debt and adding greater stress and anxiety to you and your family.

A financial counsellor can help you with advice and support so that you can start rebuilding your life and navigate the financial and other support options available to you.

Financial Counselling can:

  • Help you navigate the range of emergency relief grants and schemes available to you and your family, including those related to COVID-19
  • Access a range of grants and schemes to assist with payment of bills and essential services including housing
  • Assist you with issues relating to insurance, or if you have no insurance
  • Access hardship provisions and negotiate with credit and service providers on your behalf
  • Support you in learning to rebuild your finances, budgeting and tackling debt
  • Refer you to other support services.

Better Place Australia Financial Counsellors provide free, independent and confidential support to people in financial hardship. They can provide information and assist to help you access your financial rights and entitlements, negotiate with credit providers and refer you to a range of complimentary support services in the community.

Call 1800 007 007 to speak to a Financial Counsellor now

Please note this service is only available to people living in Australia aged 18 years and older. Unfortunately, we cannot provide assistance to people outside Australia and we recommend you contact your nearest local support service.